We are proud of our heritage! It began July 8, 1899, when John Gilschrit and Fred Jenkins had lunch at Chicago Athletic Club and discussed the possibilities of a golf club somewhere along the Illinois Central Railroad line. After many trips to the area, they were successful in finding land that impressed them and which is the present site of Flossmoor Country Club. This site, then gently rolling farmland, was purchased when the Illinois Central Railroad promised to extend their passenger service and to construct a depot in Flossmoor within a few years. After the land acquisition and many meetings, selective recruitment of potential club members began. The new club proved a mecca for golfers who would journey to the Homewood train station on the IC and then catch the club's tallyho for the two mile ride to the club house.